Monday, March 29, 2010

How to Make A PB Sandwich (Tim style)

For a Family Home Evening Activity a few weeks ago.  Robby asked us to write down the steps for making a PB&J sandwich.  Now at work I teach kids language skills including sequencing and following directions.  So as everyone scribbled, I completed a 16 step list of how to make a PB sandwich.  I was of course the last one to complete the task.  Tim was the first one done.  I was ready to gloat.

Robby proceeded to demonstrate the directions that everyone had written down.  We had a lot of laughs as he tried to make sandwiches with bread still in the bag and spread PB without a knife.  He left mine and Tim's for last. 

Here is my list
  1. Take the twist tie off of the bag if bread
  2. Open the bag
  3. Remove 2 slices of bread and close the bag with the twist tie - Put bread away
  4. Lay the bread flat on the counter
  5. Open a jar of PB
  6. Using a knife take out approx. 1 TBS of PB
  7. Spread the PB evenly over both slices of bread
  8. Use more if needed
  9. Put like back on PB - put PB away
  10. Open jelly (remove lid)
  11. Using a clean knife remove 1/2 TBS of Jelly
  12. Spread jelly on one slice of bread
  13. Put lid on Jelly and put Jelly away
  14. Pick up one slice of bread
  15. Put it PB side down on top of other slice so both PB sides are stuck together
  16. Enjoy and put knives in the dishwasher.
So... pretty good huh?  Like how I was even able to insert the cleaning up and putting stuff away into it?

The final demonstration was Tim's.  The one that he had completed before I was even finished with 3 steps...

Tim's read...

Ask Mom to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me.  When she is done, give her a kiss!

Guess who's gloating now.  It's posted on our fridge.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Haha! Love it!!;)

Bethany said...

That's perfect! (both versions) Speaking of making a PBJ, have you ever heard of the Peanut Butter Protocol? It's something I learned about in Dr. Fujiki's class where you probe pragmatic language by making a peanut butter sandwich and designing it so that the child has to continuously ask for items, help, etc. Pretty fun.

Emily K. said...

You guys are so funny :)

Annalisa said...

very cute!

i remember a class assignment to right how to brush teeth....i wasn't very good at writing instructions.

Laura said...

Haha! That is awesome. Hope your musical number went well on Sunday! :)

Jen said...

I love it! So funny!

heather said...

That's awesome.