Wednesday, July 1, 2009

17 years


Don't we look young??? 17 years ago Tim and I were married in the Oakland Temple. It's amazing to me that it has been that many years. The other evening I was reading in my journal from the time when we were dating and engaged and it brought tears to my eyes. At the time our love was so simple. Nothing else mattered except that we loved each other and wanted to be together. I remember many people when we were young newlyweds commenting on how happy we were and how well we went together. Life was so simple then. I remember when I thought I knew everything, including what love was. Now I know that I really knew nothing at all. There is a depth to love that comes gradually. It comes from enduring hard times and good times. It comes from seeing the realities of life and the realities of two different personalities coming together. It comes from choosing to work through the hard times. From choosing to be together. When times are hard there are two directions you can go... "This is too hard," or "this is worth it." Facing the reality of the words "This is too hard" is actually a terrifying thing, like coming too close to the edge of a cliff.. If you have ever seen the edge of the cliff you know what I mean. How grateful I am for the perspective of eternal marriage. This is worth it. Everytime I hear him laugh, or get to hold his hand, or simply see him smile, I know it. Thank you Tim, for 17 years, and for the opportunity of an eternity more. I love you.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is so sweet! I was just a young teenager when you got married! What a great example you were for me!;)

Heather said...

Congratulations Kristin and Tim! You are awesome!

Annalisa said...

I agree "choosing to work through the hard times" is worth it. Thanks for the post. Smiles!!

SmarterThanHomestarRunner said...

Congratulations.
I always think in my head that you have been married 'WAY' longer than me becauseI came home from my mission and you wee already married.
Jennifer and I just celebrated 15 years on June 30th.

So.... at what point in eternity does our spouse stop making us mad?
;) -Eric

heather said...

How sweet! Congratulations that is a long time!

Jen said...

Yay! That is so special! And I agree with you 100%!