Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Columbines





For some reason this year, my Dad has been in my thoughts more than usual. Last week I attended a reunion of people from the stake I grew up in in California and one of my favorite things about attending is that I am somewhere with people that knew my Dad. It doesn't come up very often, but I usually get one or two comments about him. This year's was especially touching. Someone approached me and just wanted me to know that although he has worked as a cop for years and met many people, and has traveled around the country, he has never met anyone who was like my Dad. Who had the kind of impact that my Dad had on him. I am always humbled and proud by these wonderful comments! I've been seeing him in the little things around me. My Dad was a runner and even though my early morning jaunts are more walking than running, I think of him. Usually it only lasts a few moments and them my mind drifts to other things.


He was a lover of nature and there are certain things that remind me of him. One of those is columbines. We had a few in out back yard growing up so I'm not sure why those particular flowers make me think of him but they do. Memorial Day we placed a potted columbine by his grave site, and so far it is still there and growing. And each day as I return from my walk, I see surrounding my fountain in the front yard, beautiful columbines, and I think of him again.




1 comment:

Annalisa said...

we miss your dad too.